Saturday, September 17, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

So my tomatoes in my garden are in full swing. I need to get the canner out and also make up some sauce. I think this year I want to try to bottle my own sauce with my pressure canner. A couple months ago I came across this sauce recipe on the internet and decided to try it because of the name. Its called Jo Mamma Sauce. It makes a nice thick sauce (I'm not a huge fan of the runny kind). But I let it simmer for a couple hours and it turns out great!

1 lb of ground beef (original recipe calls for 2 lbs Italian sausage)

1 small onion, chopped

3 – 4 garlic cloves, minced

1 (28 ounce) diced tomatoes

2 (6 ounce) tomato paste

2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce

2 cups water (for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don't want to simmer it as long, add less).

3 teaspoons basil

2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon of salt

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (If I am feeding it to my daughter I put in less, after simmering it can be kind of spicy)

¼ teaspoon fresh corse ground black pepper

¼ cup red wine (I just use chicken stock and it turns out great)

1 lb of pasta


Instructions: Brown meat, add onion and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.

Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.

Add basil, parlsey, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper. If you are adding wine add after sauce comes to a boil but if you are using chicken stock you can add it before.

Simmer sauce for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes a better sauce, just remember not to let it burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment